This is the response by Brent Cyclists to this consultation.
1. Do you support our overall proposals?
2. Do you have any comments on our overall proposals?
Overall these proposals are good, however some details fail to meet the high standards required for a comfortable, attractive cycling route. In particular the route fails to provide a link to existing cycle infrastructure, for example the E-W CS in Hyde Park. Therefore this route must be extended through the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
3. Do you support the proposals for Hammersmith Road?
Comments: Junction at Blythe Road should be tightened. Additional protection should be given at junction of Brook Green (e.g. additional raised kerbs after pedestrian crossing on North side of road. The route must not stop suddenly on Kensington High Street, there is sufficent width to continue the route along this road Eastwards.
4. Do you support the proposals for Hammersmith Gyratory?
Comments: These proposals provide no protection for cyclists heading South from the gyratory. The entrance to the protected tracks by crossing two traffic lanes on QUEEN CAROLINE STREET is dangerous, a crossing of the slip road South of Blacks Road should be included. Eventually plans must be made to remove the gyratory.
5. Do you support the proposals for Beadon Road?
6. Do you support the proposals for King Street (East)?
Comments: A new zebra crossing by the bus stop should be provided to provide easy pedestrian crossing to the bus stop and reduce the likelihood of pedestrians standing in the cycle lane waiting to cross the motor traffic lane.
7. Do you support the proposals for King Street (West)?
Comments: Cycle access to Studland Street appears inadequate.
8. Do you support the proposals for Chiswick High Road?
Comments: Road can be narrowed to maintain pavement width. Access from Clifton Gardens and Fisher’s Lane onto CS9 is inadequate. Staggered pedestrian crossings should be replaced with straight across crossings to remove the need for a pedestrian island, and to widen the pavement and cycle path.
9. Do you support the proposals for Heathfield Terrace / Wellesley Road?
Do not support.
Comments: CS9 cannot be described as a “cycle superhighway” if bicycle users are expected to share space with motor traffic. Either: a) this road must be closed to through motor traffic (ie filtered), or b) separate infrastructure must be provided.
10. Do you support the proposals for South Circular Road (Kew Bridge Station)?
Do not support.
Comments: A bus stop bypass must be provided outside Kew Bridge station. A route must be provided from CAPITAL INTERCHANGE WAY onto CS9.
11. Do you support the proposals for Kew Bridge Road / Watermans Park / Brentford High Street (East)?
Comments: Junctions to the North of CS9 along this route must be narrowed to prevent motor vehicles from impeding the cycle route. Forcing bicycle users to use a bus lane and overtake a loading bay is unsuitable for a cycle superhighway, separate space for cycling must be provided.
12. Do you support the proposals for Brentford High Street (West)?
Comments: a Two stage right turn into Ealing Road would be preferable to passing the junction and then turning back to use a toucan crossing.
13. Do you have any comments on future proposals for CS9 from Brentford High Street to Hounslow town centre?