Safer Junctions – Edgware Road and Harrow RoadJuly 27, 2019 0 COMMENTS
This is the response on behalf of Brent Cycling Campaign to the Safer Junctions – Edgware Road and Harrow Road consultation. We are the local group of the London Cycling Campaign in Brent, representing approximately 250 supporters in the London Borough of Brent, and anyone else who wishes to improve facilities for cycling within and without the Borough.
We oppose this scheme for the following reasons:
- The scheme fails to protect cyclists from left-hook risks.
- The scheme fails to provide protected space for cyclists.
This junction is a collision hot spot with high numbers of cyclist KSIs due to left turning traffic from Edgware Road Northbound to Harrow Road Eastbound. The proposals include “early release” for cyclists, which provides no protection for cyclists who arrive while general traffic is already flowing, and will maintain the current left-hook risk.
The only solution to the danger posed by this junction is a comprehensive system of high quality separate cycle infrastructure. There is space within the road layout to provide;
- North-South cycle lanes, which can be achieved either by:
- following present pedestrian surface level routes with improved light phasing to ensure a single light phase for cyclists travelling through the junction;
- or by providing a separate cycle phase and route following the current motor traffic route. Space is available for this from the central reservation (to be less relied on due to wider straight-across pedestrian crossings, and the presence of railings at the road edge.
- East-West cycle lanes which can be achieved by narrowing Harrow Road / Marylebone Road.
- All through E-W motor traffic should be using the A40, therefore the A404 does not require the present 3-lane design at junctions.
- Away from junctions there is space for bus-stop bypasses and protected cycle lanes due to the lack of active frontages on Harrow Road.
Within the current proposals we welcome:
- The widening of the southbound bus lane.
- The provision of a two-stage right turn for cyclists from Harrow Road into Edgware Road (south).
- The proposal to prohibit the exit from Bell Street, in order to prevent rat-running through local streets. Although this requires an exemption for cyclists.
- The provision of a two-stage right turn for cyclists from Marylebone Road (shown as Harrow Road on your plan) into Edgware Road (north).